From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:41:36 -0800
Mark Rode had questions about:

> >    If you have to do it.
> >    Listed in order of preference.
> >1.) a ups with a built in voltage regulator with constant output,
> >      not a relay or sensor activated designed to switch between
> >      battery, charger, or source AC.
> >2.) a voltage regulator which does not switch on and off at the
> >      slightest flux to become a liability.
>
> I assume voltage regulator would be handled by a continuous UPS  as stated
> in number 1 ...or are you  referring to a separate device to handle this ?

A ups with a continuos regulated output would be preferred over all other
choices listed. If such a device was too expensive then a voltage regulator
would be my second choice.

> >3.) surge suppressor capable of clamping 250VAC or lower,
> >      3 MOV's per outlet to be used, < 1 nanosecond response,
> >      very high joule rating >160 joules per outlet used. UL
> >      Approved not with just a 1449 listing. Panamax, and APC
> >      have excellent 2 outlet models and tend to be a little light
> >      on 6/8 outlet models.
>
> Is there any reason why you couldn't take a high quality UPS ...like
> APC....and internally disconnect all outlets except the first two outlets
> in order to increase per outlet suppression ?..or does EACH outlet have
> it's own suppression resistor.

It would be easier to just not use the other outlets rather than disable
them.

Typically, a 4 outlet suppressor would have 6 MOV's for suppression. This
is "ok" if you only use two outlets.Generally, the first two outlets are
protected
and the remaining outets share the protection. Some ups's only use 4 MOV's
and do not protect the nuetral to ground because of the battery circuit.
This
too would be "ok". The inversion process used by a ups to convert AC to
DC and back to AC will protect the equipment well from surges if this
process is always on line. For ups's that switch on, MOV's are needed for
additional protection.

Ideally, a supressor should have 3 MOV's per outlet protecting hot -
nuetral,
nuetral - ground, ground - hot; a coil  to reduce a high frequency surge by
means of induced impedance, a high speed diode designed to open during
high amperage surges like lightning, and a fuse/breaker to prevent
electrical fire
during a continuos short and my personal favorite a transformer for
smoothing everyday sags and spikes. All of these components use to be
incorporated into most older electronic equipment prior to the "IC design
era"
of digital technology.

> For automatic startup a < battery start > generator is required...have you
> found a reliable third party device that will sense the voltage drop and
> start the generator ? ....of course with a UPS in the circuit start up
> speed isn't important.

A simple solenoid circuit would do this. Basically, the solenoid would
always be on until the voltage drops which would switch the solenoid off.
I use this concept with a backup battery for my truck. They would just
have to incorporate the solenoid off state to switch a low voltage relay to
start the generator.

thanks for your questions Mark
-yui shin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,