From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:47:34 -0400
A checksum error is reported by some BIOS as a way ( not a very good way)
of telling you the system no longer matches saved values.  You would normally
fix this simply by entering CMOS and immediately hitting "Exit, Save changes"
even though you did not physically change anything, and some auto-set values
would be stored, and the error message goes away.  Memory size on an old
486 is a case in point.  It is not a good message because checksum errors can
also mean, among other things probably, that the battery is dead, or that CMOS
has been dumped.  In these cases, you need to reenter all the settings in CMOS,
or load defaults, before you save.
Tom Turak