From:
Michael Perez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:17:53 -0700
I have been a subscriber to this list for a few months and have come to
depend on the fount of valuable information it offers.  For that, I
would like to extend my appreciation and gratitude.

First and foremost, I hope this post is appropriate to this particular
list. The subsequent problem seems borderline to me so I wasn't
completely certain if it fell within the scope of  PCBUILD or PCSOFT.

I am now on the receiving end of a problem that's has my local tech
stymied.

If the following seems longwinded, I hope you'll bear with me.  Anyway,
here goes:

I own a pentium 133 mhz computer.  Recently, I installed an 11.5 GB
Quantum HD. I originally used a 1.6 GB Western Digital Caviar HD, which
I was going to use as a secondary slave with the Quantum.

When I connected the Caviar together with the Quantum, a problem
resulted: Whenever I would use DOS, my computer would lock up and I
would have to reboot.

A local tech determined that the Caviar was causing a conflict with the
Quantum. The Caviar has since been discarded.

However, because of all of this, a new problem has surfaced:

Now, when I restart the computer in MS-DOS mode and try to access drives
D - G
(my drives are partitioned as A-K), I get a mirror image of C's
directory.  H is recognized, but not it's contents. K is not recognized
at all.

This started occurring after the Caviar HD was install with the Quantum
and still persists.

My local tech doesn't know what to make of it.  And I know even less
about it.

As far as I can determine, the computer works normally in every other
aspect: Windows95 is fine.  Using the DOS prompt while in a Windows
session hasn't unearthed any problems.

So, there it is.  If anyone else has had a similar problem, please let
me know how you resolved it.

Sincerest thanks,
Michael Perez