From:
Vincent Winterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:43:59 -0400
Going the download assistant route produced repeated installation errors for me. I did not lose programs or folders.

I next made the USB installer using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Using the USB installer has been successful in several installs. I don’t know if it’s a functional variable but I decline updates when asked during the early part of the upgrade.

Microsoft might have offered some disclaimers regarding the potential troubles caused by installing this update.

It’s curious to me that I’ve not seen these issues. The Insider Preview program received 25 major upgrades during the test period so it’s been tested pretty thoroughly.
--
Vincent Winterling
Vineland, NJ

On 8/6/16, 1:12 PM, "Personal Computer Hardware discussion List on behalf of Peter Shkabara" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    I had no problems upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop. The problem I had with deleted files was when I "upgraded" my desktop from the original Windows 10 to the just released "Anniversary Edition" of Windows 10. Indeed, it deleted not only some files, but deleted an entire directory from my Program Files area. I had to roll back to the previous install, which fortunately went smoothly. I also found that some programs that I use will not run on the Anniversary edition. So user beware!

    Peter Shkabara