From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:21:16 -0300
Try right clicking the desktop and disable WEB view, this will cure your
video problems fast.  The video board must be enemic in such an old system
(it is integrated into the motherboard) to draw very well.  You could
install a newer video card, IBM´s site shows how to disable the onboard
video (link below). Also, remember the K6 chip was a 1st generation
inexpensive Pentium replacement, it was very slow to begin with. You could
computer. One more thing to try. go to
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/DETR-3WDHB9.html to see if your motherboard
is set up properly, maybe a jumper is in the incorrect position, but only if
you are familiar with working at this level.
Howard Rubin, Fortaleza, Brazil

Date:    Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:50:50 +1200 From:    Ian Porter
<[log in to unmask]> Subject: Very slow Aptiva

I'm trying to speed up an older model 2153 Aptiva. It has an AMD K6\266, a
4GB HDD and 128Mb SD Ram (which I've just installed to replace the original
32Mb)

It's running W98SE and has heaps of free drive space.  I've downloaded and
installed every BIOS and driver upgrade I could find, but the thing is still
painfully s..l..o..w.

Also, it loads Windows in an odd fashion. After a reasonably normal delay,
the desktop wallpaper will pop up quite smartly.  Then, the Taskbar will
appear together with the Windows sound.

But then the desktop will revert to a plain background color while the
desktop icons load, and after that, the desktop wallpaper will be redrawn in
a kind of interlaced way, ie, in 4 strips, with a noticeable delay between
each strip.

I'm just now searching for more, non-IBM, display drivers for the ATI Mach4
Rage Pro Turbo onboard video but I feel I might be missing something more
basic.

If anyone has had experience with this model Aptiva, and is able to comment,
I'd appreciate it.

TIA Ian Porter Computer Guys Inc. Arrowtown New Zealand [log in to unmask]