From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:17:17 -0800
  There are a couple of different ways that you can connect these routers.
But the primary additional security in layering a second device is to have
some chance of covering you against unintended defects -- and with both made
by LinkSys, there's a reasonably good chace that a defect in one will also
apply to the other.  So no additional security worth mentioning.

  There are two basic ways to install your new router:  as a router, or as a
switch.  The former involves some configuration complexity -- both LinkSys
routers probably expect to use the same subnet addresses for their WAN
sides, and you'd need to change at least one of them.
  The switch option is much simpler.  Hook into your new router's
configuration page, configure its WAN port to get an address via DHCP, and
disable this router's DHCP service, enable remote configuration, and change
the LAN address to some bogus value (you won't need that LAN address, since
if you need to revisit the configuration you can use the DHCP address issued
to the WAN port).  Hook a Cat5/6 cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN
ports, and a crossover from another LAN port to a LAN port on the broadband
router.
  (I've done this very successfully with NetGear 614s.  I tried it with an
AirLink, but the DHCP service wouldn't turn off.  It should work fine with
LinkSys gear.)

David Gillett