From:
Pinelands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:43:36 +0200
Hi

I thought I'd just tackle this point Bob Wright made here.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that the v.90 standard will be the last. Lets just
put internet usuage into perspective quickly...consider that if we decreased the
worl population down to 100 people keeping all current statistics in ratio that
not one of those 100 people would have a computer. Now lets remember that not
every computer has a connection to the internet and that some countries only
have email facilities and some don't have internet connections at all.
Considering that everyone keeps proclaiming the internet as they way of the
future then we will have to wait for these countries lagging behind to catch up
before we become a truly global community. Also remember that even tho countries
in Europe and North America may be taking giant leaps ahead as far as connection
technology is concerned if they want to keep their international clients then
they will have to provide services that can travel over these slower
technologies.

Cheers
Kevin Hains
Cape Town
South Africa
Http://user.lia.net/hains/js2main.htm
Http://www.ct.lia.net
________________________________

>The PCI modems are the wave of the future.  Intel has been
>pressing chipsets for motherboards that will not support any
>ISA slots in the near future.  Motherboards eventually will have
>only an AGP slot and a few PCI slots.  That is the reason you
>are finding sound cards and modems that use PCI slots.  Eventually,
>ISA modems will no longer be on the market, so you might as well
>learn to use them now.
>
>Also, remember that the v.90/ 56k standard has been set as the last
>standard for modems.  The intent is that data delivery to computers
>in the near future will use much faster connections such as cable
>modems, DSL and other direct networking solutions.   The 56K
>standard is the limit for a modem to modem connect using a
>telephone line.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html