From:
Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:29:48 -0700
Original post:
>Whenever I Log Off a user or Shutdown my xp machine, the harddrive makes a
>grating sound...sort of like the disc is skipping or something.  I *think*
>it's the hdd.
>
>Any ideas what could be happening?
>
>Thanks,
>Diane

Peter replied:
>Hi,
>   Are you sure it's not the floppy drive? Most anti-virus programs check the
>floppy drive to make sure there is not a disk left in it when logging off or
>shutting down. This is to prevent the system from booting from the floppy on
>the next power-up, and infecting the system before the anti-virus software
>starts to prevent it.
>
>HTH,
>Peter Hogan

The sound it's making is not at all like the grinding sound of the floppy
seek sound.  Also, why would it seek the floppy drive at the Log Off User
command?  I've seen systems do that on Shutdown, but not on Log Off User.

I didn't think to look for the floppy light during that noise because it
just doesn't sound like the floppy.  The box is open and it's sitting level
with my left ear, so of course the noise made me look at the innards...
I'll check it.

thanks,
Diane

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: