From:
"Mullings, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:11:54 -0500
I have a Celeron 366mhz with a 540mb primary and a 1gb secondary.
There's a zip drive as the slave on the primary and a cdrom slave on the
secondary.
Everything was working fine, all IDE components were being auto detected on
bootup.

Well, the 540 wasn't big enough with Win98 installed, so I put in an 840mb
as a slave on the primary IDE channel and xcopied all the files from one to
the other in Dos.  I'm sure you can guess what happened, no long file names!
I found a program called xxcopy that didn't mess with the LFN's, deleted the
files on the 840 and reran the copy.  Moved the 840 to the primary master,
rebooted and everything was fine.
Now a friend of mine gave me a 2gb drive, so I figured I could run the
entire process again, no sweat.

The bios had problems detecting this 2gb drive.  I hooked it up like the 840
previously as the primary slave, so that I could copy all the files.  After
a few reboots, the drive was detected.  I ran the copy, swapped the drives
around, so that the 2gb was on the primary master and rebooted.  It booted
ok, but no LFN's!  I swapped the drives back, but the bios seems to have
stopped detecting the drives.  So I went in and set it to user, surfed to
Quantum's website, jotted down the heads, cycls, etc and entered that info.
Still nothing!  I cleared the Bios using the jumper, and still it won't
detect any hard drive.  I've unhooked all the drives and just used either
the 840 or the 2gb to try to boot from and nothing.  The bios just will not
see these drives.

What else can I try?

Daniel Mullings
MTSC - Advisory Systems Engineer