From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:16:47 -0500
At 3/2/01 08:25 PM, CAL wrote:

>I did as you said and installed a IDE card to run my Zip drive.
>It starts with one page of the start up bios fine, then this comes up:
>
>ULTRA 100 (tm) BIOS Version 2.01 (Build 27) Maxtor Ultra ATA 100
>Controller by (C) 1999-2000 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved
>
>Detecting -
>
>D0  IOMEGA Zip 100 ATAPI
>D1  Not Detected
>D2  Not Detected
>D3  Not Detected
>
>Ultra 100 BIOS is not installed because there are no drivers attached. (I
>installed the drivers several times and the computer says they are installed)

This is normal.  The Zip 100 ATAPI is not a Ultra 100 device so you don't
need this driver.  You only need the driver when a hard drive with Ultra
100 capabilities is attached to one of the ports.

>Then the Microsoft Windows 98 start up screen comes on and goes off, then
>
>Bad Command or File Name
>C:\>ndisban
>Bad command or file name
>C:\>redirall
>bad command or file name
>C:\>Rem - by Windows 98 Network - C:\Windows\net start
>C:\>arswait
>Bad command or file name
>C:\>z:login
>Invalid drive specification

It appears that some extraneous commands were left in the autoexec.bat or
win.ini file during some software or device install.

You may be seeing them because the "splash screen" is not covering up the
commands. If you just started seeing them, it could be because they were
covered up before. Normally the Windows 98 Starting screen covers up
commands such as these.  There is a startup setting to not enable the
splash screen.  On the other hand, the software installing your zip drive
or Promise card may have terminated early before a revised Autoexec.bat
could be created without these lines.

It appears that this line is loading your anti-virus software before
graphical windows starts.

>Then another Microsoft Windows 98 window comes on again
>and then these lines come up:
>
>C:\>rem-by Windows 98 Network - C:\Windows Net Start
>C:\>arswait
>Bad command or file name
>C:\>z:login
>Invalid drive specification

Looks like more garbage left from windows logging on a network in the DOS
mode, maybe when a disk image was loaded???.

>Then all loads normally.  I do not know whether to try to fix this or
>leave well enough alone.  Anyone know what I should do.

If you could post what is in your autoexec.bat, we could probably tell you
what you really need and a simple edit would get rid of the lines.  However
they don't hurt anything staying there.

Doug

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml