From:
Anne Savannah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:04:23 -0600
Hello everyone,
I am building a computer from the ground up on my own for the first time,
my last computer (4 years ago) I build with the help of a technician.  I
confess he did most of the work.  I have discovered I need a bunch of
questions answered about the motherboard and other parts of my new computer.
Here is a list of the components I'm using:
Motherboard: Asus A7V266 w/o sound,  with updated bios for Palomino cpu
CPU: AMD Palomino 1600+, and fan
Case: Lian Li  PC68 with 300w Enermax PS
Graphics: Asus V7700 Deluxe 32MB
Ram: 512 DDR PC2100 micron
Sound: Soundblaster Live Audigy oem
Modem: USR 56 hardware modem, basic no frills
HD: Western Digital Ultra ATA 100 40 MB
CDROM: Creative 52x oem cheapo, to be replaced when I find more money
Windows XP Pro oem
I have the bare bones already assembled, but I haven't had the courage to
turn it on.  There are too many questions  I need answered! I have made
sure it is set to jumper free and all the dip and jumpers are set for that
mode.

What is USB wake up  and is there any advantage to setting the jumper to S3
sleep state, the +5VSB lead is good for 2.2A according to my ps booklet?
Thermal Sensor jumper, what is meant by Reserved, I have 2 choices Reserved
and Athlon/Duron?
I have a problem hooking up the 4 usb ports on the front of my case, I'm
not sure about the connectors?
What is a SMBus?
I have lots more questions that I'll save for the next post

Thanks Anne

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com