Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:02:07 +1200
I don't think I've ever seen a case where bad sectors were misreported.  Every time I've encountered this situation the drive has continued to deteriorate.

GRC's 'Spinrite' is supposed to be able to work magic with deteriorating hard drives but I've tried it several times and it's never worked for me.  Plus it costs about as much as a new drive.  It's amazing reputation seems to exist mainly in the mind of it's creator Steve Gibson.

If I were you I'd be looking to clone your ailing drive.  Drive2Drive is great for cloning W98 drives and it's cousin, Casper is excellent for XP.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand