From:
"Maurice J. Reid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:51:52 -0600
I've been having the same problem (also on Dell) and posted on this list.
Bill Cohane gave me some good suggestions (9/9/04), which you might want to
try. Unfortunately I had already tried the ipconfig route, ping tests, etc.
and it didn't help. However through additional research through Google, I
checked a program on my computer called "Common Client Proxy Service". This
is a vital part of the Norton Internet Security/Firewall since 2003 and
included in the info I have found is "Disabling it(Common Client...) or
crashing it stops internet access. POP3 and IMAP e-mail is not affected". I
had been disabling the Norton internet security/firewall and the access
ability of Common Client Proxy Service since I didn't want the firewall
portion of Norton to conflict with Zone Alarm. I have now enabled Norton F/W
and allowed internet access for Common Client and it appears everything is
ok now. Left computer on all night, but  internet connection dormant and it
came up fine this morning. Always had to re-boot to accomplish this before.
Since you have Dell, and XP home same as I do, hope this will help. BTY I
will be getting rid of Norton as soon as soon as trial period is over. Hope
this can be of help to you.
Maurice