From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:40:48 -0800
Hello again folks. Christmas was nice and I got my new computer running
- I am writing this using the new machine. Now there is a new problem to
be solved. The computer often starts up with chkdsk on bootup. Once it
even required an OS reinstall because it kept giving me a blue screen. I
think I solved the blue screen problem by installing new drivers.

Here is my setup:

Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard with P4 2.4GB and 512MB PC2700 RAM

Dual Western Digital D800 80G drives with 8MB cache

Drives connected as RAID 1 to Silicon Image controller on motherboard
using Iwill I2S IDE to SATA adaptors

O/S is Windows XP with SP1 installed

I am suspecting that the 8MB cache on the drives is contributing to the
problem. That is, not all writes are done during shutdown before the
computer is turned off. I use the shutdown of XP and it turns off the
motherboard power.

Here are a couple of questions:

1.      How can I ensure that XP is not using delay writes? I remember
it was a big issue with Win98.
2.      How can the motherboard (or XP) be set so that power is not
turned off when XP shuts down?

Any other ideas to check out would be welcome. So far, I have not had
any fatal problems, but when disk errors get reported after a shutdown,
I worry!

Peter

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com