From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:06:46 -0800
  One of the things I've done is set up a separate email address that I use
only for eBay and PayPal, and for *nothing* else.  I've noticed that it's
the only email address of mine that has never received an eBay or PayPal
phishing scam message....
  It's important the the email address you use for this not be behind a too-
aggressive spam filter, which it sounds like your ISP has.  So I would check
out the possibility of getting a free webmail account (Yahoo, Google,
HotMail, or whatever), especially if you can opt-out of whatever anti-spam
protection they offer.  As long as you use it only for dealings with those
services, you shouldn't need the antispam protections, and it's clearly more
important that you get every legitimate message sent to that address.  (Your
ISP may be able to set up a separate address for you that isn't filtered,
but may want to charge $5/month for it which may be more than you want to
pay.)

David Gillett

On 21 Jan 2006 at 10:56, Carol wrote:

> I have DSL, and I am having a problem I've never had before in my several
> years of
> emailing online.  From what my ISP told me today, I'm wondering if other
> people are having the same problem.  He says things are going wrong before
> they hit their server, but no one else I know personally is having this
> problem..
>
> I do not get some of my emails for hours or even days.
> (And, some of them are not coming in at all.  I can tell, because
> I sell things on Ebay and always get confirmation emails when things are
> listed and emails when things are sold.  But, I never got a confirmation
> email on the last two items I've
> listed, and some I should have received for sold
> items.)  This is very disturbing when your little business is online and
> email based.  My ISP admits it's their fault, but all they say is that their
> "engineers" are working on it.  Today, he admitted that it had something to
> do with SPAM filtering and said that was the part that was happening before
> the emails got to their server.  (I don't get any SPAM, and I had the
> feeling, since the missing emails are almost all from companies, that it had
> something to do with filtering out SPAM.)
>
> I don't know alot about how email works, but from what I've read, email
> is routed to ones ISP by the internet itself and that part has nothing to do
> with ones server.  So, I believe that the problem lies at the site of my
> ISP.  To me, this shouldn't be all that difficult for their
> "engineers" to figure out......not so hard it takes weeks, anyway.  This has
> been going on for weeks.  I have just
> ordered DSL from a different ISP, (MSN), and will cancel the old service
> once the new one is installed.  So, I'm curious if any of you have any
> better knowledge
> about this than I do and might be able to explain how this could be
> happening.  In all of
> the last 10 years I've been emailing online, I have never had anything but
> almost instantaneous receipt of emails.  (Have I just been lucky?)
> Carol Hanson

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads