From:
Wanda Irby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:42:45 -0600
Dave Gillett wrote:

> On 27 Dec 99, at 10:14, Wanda Irby wrote:
>
> > Timchenko Maxim wrote:
> > >
> > > Check for IRQ conflicts. A common source of things like this....
> > >
> > > But I'd like to know more about the configuration of your PC.
> >
> > I have a Micron PIII 600 with 128 meg RAM and a 27.3 gig hard drive.  I
> > have a pretty heavy load of peripherals.  A Wacom tablet on COM1, COM2
> > is used by the internal winmodem, COM3 is the cardwriter for my sewing
> > machines.
>
>   The Wacom tablet is very like a mouse -- it uses its IRQ *all the
> time*.  This is what's conflicting with COM3.
>
>   How to fix it?  Well, there are three approaches:
>
> 1.  Move COM3 to some non-standard IRQ.  You might not have one
> available.
>
> 2.  Move COM3/IRQ4 to COM4/IRQ3.  You won't be able to use the card
> reader at the same time as the modem, but I expect you can live with
> that.  A few kinds of video cards conflict with COM4, but you might
> not have one of those.
>
> 3.  [My favourite...]  Make the internal modem COM1/IRQ4 and move the
> Wacom tablet to COM2/IRQ3.  The card reader should then work as
> COM3/IRQ4.  Again, you won't be able to use it and the modem at the
> same time, but this shouldn't get you into any other difficulties.
>
> David G
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owner's:

If it is the Wacom that is conflicting, why does it only affect the
cardwriter and the modem?  When I try to use the modem...it does
nothing.  When I use the cardwriter, it says it is in conflict with the
modem and I should reconfigure the modem.  The modem uses IRQ 11 and
COM2 but I don't see the Wacom or the card reader on on the IRQS. IRQ 3
& 14 are not listed so suppose they are not used.  Only the modem will
not work.
        Wanda

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org