From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:20:51 -0600
Wow, that is an old piece of hardware.  When I was in the US Navy, we used
them for generating raytracing data to show how sound traveled in water.

Unfortunately, even in 1985 they were not recent technology.  The largest
hard drive that I ever saw for one of them was a 55MB external drive which
you could buy for around US$4,000.00, however they have been out of
production for at least 7 years.

The system uses HP-UX, a UNIX variant that HP created.  The devices connect
to the system using HP's proprietary HP-IB interface, similar to SCSI, but
not compatible with it.  It supports multiple CPUs (Motorola 68000, I
think).  Everything from CPUs to memory to interface cards connect to the
system's backplane.

The computer was a scientific and engineering workhorse, well suited to real
time data acquisition.  In today's world, however, there really is no use.
It is completely proprietary and has virtually no current software support.

You can find documentation for the 9000 series systems at
http://docs.hp.com/hpux.systems/#kclass.

Best of luck!

=d=

Drew Dunn