From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:35:54 -0500
Rod:
(Please understand that I'm certainly not a lawyer... and I didn't stay
at a Holiday Inn last night, either.) If you are proposing to install
Win 98SE on your new system while still using it on the Sony, the answer
is no. That is a violation of the MicroSoft End User License Agreement
(EULA). If the Sony is deceased, maybe, but probably not. You'll have to
check out the specific EULA that came with the Sony. I'm not familiar
with the EULA that is used with versions that are sold directly to
computer OEMs, but I bet that there is a section that says that the
license is only valid on the original computer. It gets hazy, however,
if all that you did was install a new motherboard and CPU in the
existing system.
If you do decide to get a new OS, see if the dealer who sold you the
motherboard and CPU will sell you an OEM version. At least one of the
local stores here sells OEM versions with the purchase of a new
motherboard, CPU or hard drive.
A word of advice from another Athalon user who learned the lesson the
hard way -- if your board uses a VIA chipset, be sure to load the
drivers exactly as described in the manual.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby