From:
Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:51:16 -0500
Hey there listers!

OK- I just read, again, in another thread about how XP won't play certain games that would play on 98.

It so happens that I sent a friend a custom built (by me- ;^)  PC for Xmas along with a game I thought he'd enjoy playing, Zork Nemesis.  I didn't remember that when I played it, I was using Win98.  Well, when he tried to install it, it said "installation complete, restart your PC?"- to which he clicked "OK".  This scene just looped, over & over.  There was a folder in the start menu that said "Zork" but it was empty.

Then it hit me!  "Program compatability wizard": start>programs>accessories>PGWizard.  What you have to do is insert the game, exit out of it's installation screen, & get back to the desktop.  Then run the PCW.  Tell it to run in whatever operating system mode that you had previously played the game in successfully.  Choose "I want to use the program in the CD-ROM drive".

The key is to "disable visual themes"- this is what ruins the install in XP.

I talked my new PC user friend through this & voila! - game installed without a hitch.

Just thought I'd fly this by everyone to try in case they weren't aware of it?  I hope it works for you, too!

FYI,

Lynn Tracy

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml