From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:33:41 -0700
You could replace the wireless card with a USB wireless adapter for not
too many dollars. Then you would end up gaining one or three available
ports depending on which USB card you bought. Still a lot cheaper than a
repair shop.

Tom Mayer

Stephen R Stanfield wrote:
> Hello Tom,  I am experiencing same problem; however, I use my laptop
> on a wireless connection with only one port for a card.
> stephen r stanfield
>
> Thomas Mayer wrote:
>> This information is for general information of members with notebook
>> computers.
>>
>> I have been fighting a hardware problem with poor USB ports on a
>> Compaq notebook. After a few months of sporadic operation, the ports
>> have finally died and I was preparing for an expensive shop repair.
>> In researching ways in which I could possibly get a converter from
>> USB to Firewire, I ran across USB 2.0 PCMCIA cards with two USB ports
>> and a separate power supply for when added power is needed. After
>> reading some of the professional as well as user reviews, I've
>> decided that I'd rather spend $20 to $40 on a USB notebook card
>> rather than much more on a repair. These cards also come as a combo
>> with firewire included for a few dollars more. They also come with 4
>> USB ports.
>>
>> Sending this information just in case anyone else runs into a similar
>> problem.
>>

>> Tom Mayer

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml