From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:50:29 -0800
Hi Peter,

I have a Hawking wireless print server, it is the HWPS12UG model. It has 3
ports, 2 USB and one parallel, it supports wireless-G modes. I have two USB
printers hooked up to it. I got it primarily because I need to print from
three different computers, and having to ensure that one was on to serve it
was not practical. I have heard from other people that one solution they did
was to use an old de-commissioned laptop as the print server. This is a nice
approach too, since a laptop can be made to power down to conserve power,
yet wake up when prompted for a print job.

It is a little painful to setup. I had some difficulty with the wireless
part, mainly because it wouldn't seem to take unless I had my SSID broadcast
from my router. I had turned that off for a little added security. It did
however support both WEP (64 and 128 bit) and WPA-PSK security.

It does support DHCP, but in order to set it up as a network printer, you
need a fixed IP address. I could either make it a fixed IP, or reserve a
fixed IP in the DHCP table in the router for its MAC address. I did the
latter.

One thing you miss is the ability to get status back from the printer, like
ink cartridge levels because the printer driver assumes it is connected
directly to a USB port, and doesn't support polling this through a print
server.

Russ Poffenberger