From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:00:34 -0600
Ryo Imamura wrote:

> My Gateway P5-200 system just had a 3COM USR 56 K internal fax modem added
> to replace the old 28.8 modem.  It works fine when using my commercial
> ISP.  But when I log onto my company's mainframe (which uses Unix), I have
> to go through Control Panel to turn off the V90 capability in order for
> Hyperterminal to work.  After I am done, I have to once again go into
> Control Panel to turn on the V90 capability to utilize the ISP to full
> capacity.  Does anyone know a way to bypass this additional hassle?

This is just an idea, but perhaps you can force Hyperterminal to turn
off the V.90 protocol if that is somehow confusing it (or your company's
mainframe). Adding the appropriate command(s) to your dial string should
do the trick. I can't be more specific because I don't know exactly
which modem family yours belongs to, but much more info can be gotten
directly from the 3Com web site. The Support pages begin at
http://support.3com.com/nav/desktop_modems.htm and go on from there.

Post back if you need more help, or even to say whether this works or
not. Several years back I needed to access a service that used the V.32
protocol, but choked when my V.32bis modem tried to connect. Using
additional commands in my Init string, I forced that single connection
to fall back slightly to straight V.32 and things worked very well. Good
luck!

Jeff Delzer

                                  -----