From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:03:41 -0500
David George wrote:

> Listmembers
>
> Can anyone out there tell me what software settings or tweaks I can make to
> ensure that my Duxbury 56K V.90 modem connects with my ISP at optimal speed.
>
> At this stage it connects 28K most times and I want to ensure that the
> problem is not aggravated by any incorrect settings on my side before I ask
> the telecom company to test the telephone lines. The telecom co. provides
> either 56K flex or X2 standards but not V.90 at this stage.

David,

You should first talk with your ISP.  It sounds like you have incompatible
modems.
An X2 modem and a Kflex modem will only communicate at about 28-30K.
That was the reason for the new V.90 specification -- to make all 56K modems
"universal".

Unless your telephone company is also your ISP, I think you are confused about
what
the phone company is providing   There is no such thing as an "X2 telephone
circuit
or connection" or a KFLEX either. Those terms describe the communications method

used by the MODEMS at each end of the connection, and have nothing to do with
the telephone circuits that connect the two modems.

In general, the phone company can provide you one of two types of connections:
DIGITAL  (ISDN, ADSL, T-1, etc.) or ANALOG (normal voice grade connections).

A digital connection requires a special modem and telephone to work.

An analog connection (which most people have) works with normal telephones and
modems (like you have).

As phone companies upgrade their equipment and add new circuits, there is more
and
more digital switching equipment used within the telephone network, ---- but
your connection is still an analog service.  And an analog circuit is an analog
circuit.

The quality of an analog circuit will definitely have an affect on the maximum
speed of
modem but that is due to the purity of the signal and not because it is a
special level
of service.

--
Jim Meagher