From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 03:14:42 -0400
Jose's post (clipped):-

<<<< Is there a source of information out there that I can use to make sure I don't buy things that won't work for me?>>>>

I am afraid there is no such "all inclusive source". having said this if you can provide some more info. list members can surely make suggestions.

(1) the E-3600 mentioned by you seems to be sort of generic in nature and there seem to be many different models. the following are the specs. for one such.

<<< Gateway Pentium 4 with 1.5 GHz Processor, 20 GB Hard Drive. 256 MB RAM, DVD-ROM, 6-USB Ports, , Onboard Network Adapter, Onboard Sound Card and Floppy Drive

Computer Type: Gateway Pentium Four (4) ACDT Uniprocessor
Model Number:  ATXSTF ELP E3600 PC
Processor: Intel Pentium 4CPU 1.50 GHz
System Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Hard Drive: 20 GB Har Drive
Floppy Drive: 3.5" -1.44 MB
DVD-ROM: GD 8000
USB Slots 6 (2 in front & 4 on the back)-Generic USB Hub, Intel 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2442, USB Root Hub
RAM: 256 MB
Expansion Slots: 4(3-PCI and 1-AGP)
RAM Slots: 3
Mouse: Uses Standard PS/2 or Serial type Mouse ( Mouse and a keyboard are not included)
Sound Card: Onboard, Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC 97 Audio controller, Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Driver, Legacy Video Capture Device, Media Control Device, Video Codecs
Network Adapter: Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Serial Port: 1-9pin >>>>

(2) Gateway site lists only E-2600/4100 series but does indicate a way to find out the model/serial no.

<<<< The label on the rear of the computer case is located below the fan vent. It provides the computer serial number and model number

Customer Information - Desktop/Tower

Labels with the serial number and support contact information are located on the front of the computer inside the ports door. Another label with only the serial number is located on the rear of the computer >>>

(3)so, if you have the manual and provide the specs. of your system AND ALSO

what sort of upgradation are you considering? memory, processor, video, sound... then suggestions may come from the list members.

sorry, not of much help but....

good luck--Venkat

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com