From:
Steve Sabljak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:08:12 -0500
Dan -- I have a Presario 4122; quite similar to the machine in question.  Upgraded it to Win98 SE some years back.  Simply installed it right on top of the Win95 that was in place on the machine as purchased.  Had no problems and everything works fine to this day.  (Evidenced by the fact that that is the PC I am writing this email with.)

I can't answer all the various scenarios you mention, but do have a suggestion.  Does your friend have the recovery CDs that came with the machine?  If so, I would try to bring it back to its "factory fresh" state, and then do the 98 install on top of that.

BTW -- The non-DOS partition has a number of Compaq's preloaded diagnostics and information screens associated with it.  Don't believe it has anything to do with the BIOS.  For some reason, they still include that with their current models in the stores right now...

Steve