From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 16:13:58 -0400
As David Gillett noted, the contents of network neighborhood in a peer
network of win98 is stored in the master browser, and is only partially
dynamic, it may refresh rather slowly, at intermittant intervals.  So simply
starting a pc wired to a network will not necessarily force a master browser
refresh.  Especially because you have the clients set to 'windows logon'
instead of 'client for microsoft network', and under properties for
microsoft networks you chose 'quick logon' instead of 'restore connections'.
The master browser is located under the properties for 'file and printer
sharing for microsoft networks'. You can set both pc's to automatic.  The
first booted pc becomes the master browser, and provides the list of
available shares to all other clients connected.  If a client does not have
a share it won't appear in network neighborhood.
Try Paul's two suggestions, find computer and windows explorer.  If they
work, reset that quick logon settings to network client and restore
connections.  This will slow your windows startup by about 15 seconds but
should fix your issues.
Tom Turak