Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:14:47 -0800
Since you want the Linux installation to be bootable, you will need to
install it on a primary partition. You should have a choice of several
formats to use - check which is best for the version of Linux you are
planning install. DO NOT FORMAT the drive using XP - do the PARTITIONING and
formatting using the Linux install procedure. It is best that way.

The native format for XP is NTFS. There are a number of utilities now that
will allow Linux to access (read) an NTFS partition, but I am not aware of
it being able to write to NTFS. If all you want is to transfer files from
NTFS to your new Linux install, there should not be a problem. You can boot
to Linux and then read the info on your XP drive.

Although I have taught UNIX/Linux, and have used it quite a bit, I have not
kept up with what is currently happening (been away for a couple of years).
Others on the list may give you some helpful pointers as to how best to
proceed.

Peter