From:
Sue Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:31:33 -0400
Dan,

The BIOS you have on this board is Award, which identifies errors
by beeps (long, short or a combination). The long beep is about 2
seconds, and the short beep is about 1 second. When it's
continuing, it sounds somewhat like you describe, a siren. This is a
list of the error beeps, taken from
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

 *1 Long, 2 Short  Video adapter failure  Bad video adapter
 *Repeating (Endless loop)  Memory error  Bad memory or bad
connection
 *1 Long, 3 Short  Video adapter failure  Bad video adapter or
memory
 *High freq. beeps (while running)  CPU is overheating  CPU fan
failure
 *Repeating High, Low beeps  CPU failure  Bad processor

It's up to you to decide which one it is, but it's a start. Good luck.

Sue Clark
Bristol, ME
On 27 Aug 2004 at 0:02, Dan Layman wrote:

Hi;
   I am building a new computer using an ABIT AN7 motherboard.
When
   booting the system I have the following symptoms. Any help
would be
   appreciated.
1). A sound like an English police car form the system speaker
2). When trying to boot from the XP install disk everything goes fine
until the message at the bottom of the screen says Starting
Windows,
then the system powers itself off.
   Thanks Dan L

                     support at our newest website: