From:
James HIlls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 22:44:10 -0500
After coping all of that to the hard disk do not forget to put the "product key"
for the software somewhere that it can be retrieved, as it may be needed for a
later install.

I have run into this problem with some computers that have been donated to a
local elementary school and they wanted the cleaned up and software
reinstalled.  It was impossible without that key and MS furnished some codes but
none worked.  Some of these computers with proprietary hardware and drivers were
not available.

Jim HIlls
Houston TX

"George N. Weinisch" wrote:

> Howard,
>
> After formatting the drive, at the dos prompt, create a directory on your
> hard drive.  Name it "Win95" or "Cabs" (or whatever you choose).  Then, copy
> to it the contents of the WIN95 subdirectory from the Windows 95 CD.  All of
> the .cab files will now be on your hard drive.  From the directory you've
> just created type "setup", and the Windows installation will begin.  So
> instead of installing the OS from the CD, you are installing it from the
> HDD.  From that point on, whenever changes or updates are made, the system
> will "remember" where it was installed from, and will not prompt the user
> for the disk.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> George

                     support at our newest website: