From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:44:28 -0700
On 30 Jul 2002, at 11:18, Paul Santschi wrote:

>   I have a 266 pentium hooked up to a network. We have a fixed
> wireless internet connection at 256k. All other computers on
> network can access at speeds of close to 256 but this one only gets
> a maximum of 35k. Has a 3Com 10/100 card. I have replaced the card,
> deleted and reinstalled al network drivers and still no
> improvement. It appears this computer has never run fast through
> the network. It is slow getting data off of the server also. Have
> also tried new cable and plugged into new port on switch. I have
> looked at the motherboard  on one of the other boxes that are
> identical and can't see any differences in jumpers.  Any ideas?
> Help, I'm going bald trying to figure this out.

  What kind of switch is it?  How is the switch port configured:
10/100/auto, full-duples/half-/auto?  No hubs anywhere?
  Have you tried replacing the cable?  (I know, it sounds dumb, but
Cat-5 cables aren't nearly as robust as people treat them, and I've
had poor network performance go away when faulty cables were replaced
on SEVERAL occasions.)

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml