From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:48:03 -0800
>An old 486 system I have recently started leaving messages when booting
>up.  It stated "HDD Controller Error, press F1 to resume".  Hitting F1
>worked a few times and I was able to get into the system but eventually,

I still have an old 486 that gives me this message every now and then.
Check your IDE cable...re-seating it usually solves the problem for me.

>Very annoying, isn't it?  Several possible problems will cause this
>cryptic error message.  Here's a short list.  Heat.  Amazingly some
>486 cpus ran fine with non-working cpu fans, but my ide controllers

I know some people use to run a fan on a 486DX2 66 but they were never
required. In fact the vast majority of 486 Chips did not require a fan. I
have run everything up to a Intel  DX4100 Overdrive with nothing more then
the heat sink that came with it. I am currently using a Kingston 586-133
which was the fastest 486 chip made and it has it's own on board fan

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org