Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:16:46 -0400
  I was reminded by recent posts about WD drives of an experience I had
with a different brand that needn't be identified for this little story.
  I'd had a couple of drives go bad within less than a year of installation
in a 486 machine and mentioned it to a tech at work. He'd had the same
experience with his home machine and attributed it to vibration from
the railroad tracks not far from his house.
 At the time, my machine was on a table that was shaken pretty hard by
vibration caused by kids playing in the house. I moved the machine to
a much heavier table in a corner almost over a bearing wall where it
was protected from the shakes. The drive, which was the same model as
the ones that had failed (good old Maxtor warranty replacements), lasted
3 years and still works fine.
 So the question is How much does vibration affect drive longevity?
--
bob raikes

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>