From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:17:22 -0700
Well, I am just an observer of DVD burners, right now, but it looks like
the Sony DRU-500A is the hot DVD burner for the moment... and it isn't
cheap. But It does support both formats.

  If I were to buy a DVD burner, it would probably be this Sony or a
Lite-on. I have had a number of Lite-on CDR-RW burners, and have never had
a problem. Plus Lite-on posts lots of BIOS updates to stay current with
media. Lite-on has announced that they will have a under $100 DVD burners
out by the end of the year. Lite-on is an actual manufacturer, and they
supply a lot of OEM and companies like Cyndyne.

Just this week, I purchased a Cyndyne 52X24X42 CDR-RW at a OfficeMax $10
after rebate sale, that is, in fact, a Lite-on LTR-52246S. I also own the
real thing, and this one is identical expect for the face plate, which
doesn't have the Lite-on web site printed on the name plate. The Lite on
model number is printed on the drive, and it flashes with the Lite-on BIOS.
Of course, companies like Cyndyne get drives from all sorts of
manufactures, so if someone was to buy the same Cyndyne drive, they may, or
may not, end up with the same drive I did.

For my first DVD burner, I would want to buy a drive from a company that
manufactures the drive, because manufactures are the ones writing and
posting BIOS updates, and if something goes wrong, I want to know that my
Sony replacement comes back manufactured by Sony. It is in the manufactures
interest to keep their customers up to date. It is in third parties
interest, to have you buy a new and better burner.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>So taking things a bit further...I don't want to start a debate, but are
>companies like Plextor, Yamaha, and Sony considered the "better" burners
>in the DVD market just like they seem to be in the CD burner market?  Or
>can you get by "on the cheap" with drives by Cendyne, Pine, Verbatim,
>etc?
>
>I really should get back to doing my computer parts research.  My
>interest and lots of my money have turned primarily to home theater :)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Neal Collins
>A+

                     support at our newest website: