From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:07:58 -0700
>In order to create dual/multi boot system, you need either to use boot
>manager (eg Partition magic) or install OS in order (win95/98 -> NT ->
>UNIX).
>
>Jun Qian

This is not true. I have installed Windows 98 after having installed
Windows 2000 Server or Pro and on every occasion
Windows 2000 has correctly set up to boot Windows 98.

To get NT4 boot loader set up after a Windows 98 install you need only
start up the NT4 install process. After booting to the install screen
select R for repair. Put your NT4 Emergency repair disk in. Select restore
start up files and reboot. NT4 boot loader will now control the dual boot.

However If the NT4 boot loader is working and correctly transfers the boot
process to Win98 but then quickly stops reporting that it can't find the
Windows directory even though Boot.ini correctly points to it then there
may be an additional problem. I have on a couple of occasions had this kind
of problem and it was always the result of the MSDOS.sys file being changed
AFTER the install. I suspect that this file was overwritten during the
installation of Norton Utilities or Norton Anti Virus in Windows 98.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html