From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:23:37 -0600
If your goal is simply to transfer files, the easiest thing is to take the
old drive out and install it in the newer machine.  You can copy files and
then put it back in the old machine if you want.  Remember to make the
master/slave settings appropriate, and, if you then remove the drive, return
the settings to their original state.  This is pretty easy to do even for
someone who has not messed with hardware much.  (Recommended action.)  If
you do not have a spare IDE connection, disconnect one of the drives or cd
readers and use that connection temporarily.

If the newer machine is a notebook, and it has a free IDE slot but the drive
will not fit, you can probably use a ribbon to make a temporary connection,
but I don't know too much about notebooks.  It may depend on the notebook.
Similar comments if the older machine is a notebook.

And - if the cable is long enough and will reach - you can connect the cable
directly from the old drive (in situ) to the newer computer IDE slot.  Both
computers will have to be on to provide power to the old drive.

I hope that this helps.

Dean Kukral