From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:19:11 -0700
You have received a number of comments so far, so I'll just relate my
experiences. I've used a wireless LAN for a while and I set one up for my
daughter. My first set up used a Linksys Router 802.11b that lasted for
about a year until the wireless operation stopped working (it is now working
as a wired only Router for one of my daughters). I had to add a Linksys
signal booster and a directional antennae to the my setup to get about 60
feet within the house with a decent and reliable signal. When that Route
stopped working, I replaced it with a Linksys Router 802.11g and that lasted
about 6 months until the wireless operation stopped working on it also (the
signal strength, reliability, and speed was somewhat better while it
lasted). I decided to stop spending the bigger bucks ($50 after rebate) on
what had become disposable products and got a Belkin Router 802.11g about 4
months ago for $20 after rebate and so far have had no problems. In fact I
did away with the signal booster and the directional antennae and ended up
with better signal strength and reliability than with the Linksys Routers. I
set up one of my other daughters with a Belkin Router about 6 months ago and
it has recently started to have intermittent wireless failures. She is now
looking to replace it.

As to wireless adapters, I have tried Linksys, Gigafast(?), and SMC (all USB
adapters). The SMC, with a USB cable to permit the best placement, seems to
be the best at maintaining a good signal. The Linksys was $40 after rebate
and the others were $10 to $20 after rebate.

If all your computers are using a Windows XP system the setup is fairly
routine and quick, but make sure you secure the signals between your
computers (you will have that choice during the setup) with a 'key/code'. If
you are running different OS's, the setup is more difficult and requires
some patience. For my first setup I downloaded precise directions for an XP
OS  to a 98 OS from sites on the Internet. I now use all XP OS's.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

> How difficult is it to install a wireless network in my home? I have 3
> computers and one will be located on the 2nd floor (less than a 150 feet
> between each PC. We were quoted $200 to install the wireless network and
> security and indicated it would take several hours if I would try to do
> this on my own and maybe not do it properly...Can you make a recomendation
> about this??
> Thanks!
> Emy

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads