Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:16:27 -0500
On 06/27/2001 at 09:21 PM, "Hugh A. Gale" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
>     My problem is, programs regularly crash and I now suspect a hardware
>problem.  Last year I installed Win98, and after repeated crashes, I
>backed off to Win95 thinking I had too many driver conflicts.  Recently I
>added a router, eliminating several of my drivers and the Win95
>environment was so corrupted every boot caused a registry error.
>    After a clean reinstall of Win98 and experiencing repeated crashes
>(for example yesterday after a clean boot, Netscape crashed, then IE
>crashed then PaintShop Pro crashed), I am suspecting a hardware bug.  I am
>convinced this is not a Win98 issue since I run the same apps on my laptop
>without the crashes.

You might try checking for RAM errors. Try replacing your RAM elements
(DIMMs, probably?) one by one with known good ones, then two by two, etc.
If at any point the crashes cease, you've found the bad RAM, which will
have to be replaced.

If by any chance you have access to a RAM tester, you can test each of
yours without having to buy or borrow known good ones first.

--
    Phil Parker
URL http://www.math.twsu.edu/Faculty/Parker/

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: