From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:31:07 -0300
Here in Brazil we live with dual voltages, 220 in the north and 110 in the
south.  Everyone uses a 220 / 110 converter for their computers and monitors
and any 110 volt accessories.  The power is supplied from the wall with just
two wires, no third ground, which makes things  very difficult.  For the
serious computer users, we have a "isolador", that creates a proper ground,
and depending on the power plug of the converter, 3 or 2 prong type, it is
the first device plugged into the wall.  Must  business that use computers
will spend the  extra money to run a dedicated 110 line with a 3rd wire
ground in each office.  I get lots of shocks working on computers here
because of the corrosive nature of our environment (1km from the beach),
either the computer power supply or the converter will work but shock you
when you touch the computer cabinet with a wet finger (sweat).
Miraculously, it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the computer, I am
usually there to correct a software or virus problem and upgrade memory.  I
stick in my diagnostic CD or floppy and get it!  It scares you at first as
you are not expecting this!  If it is the converter's fault, I just change
the computer voltage selection to 220 and surprise the client, he doesn't
need the  converter, and everyone is happy!  Static discharge here is very
uncommon, nobody uses carpeting, just ceramic tile and cement.

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

                     support at our newest website: