From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:31:28 -0500
At 08:05 PM 01/10/2001 Gary Kaucher wrote:

>I am trying to help a friend get a CD-ROM to work on a Packard Bell . . .
>. . . I was able to use one of the drivers (Matsushita) to recognize
>D: ,but unfortunately when I insert a CD into the CD-ROM, I am unable to
>change directories or do anything. . . .

Gary:

It must be a proprietary CDROM driver. Go to Matsushita driver site:

  http://www.panasonic.com/support/software/cdrom.html

and download the driver. Edit your Windows 98 Boot Disk to replace the
OAKCDROM.SYS drivername with the name of the Matsushita driver. Copy the
Matsushita driver to the boot floppy. Should work.

Alternatively, if you have any external drives (zip, LS-120, Jaz, orb,
CDROM, etc.) you can use it to transfer the \WIN98\*.* (CAB) files from the
Windows CD to the Packard Bell hard drive and install Windows directly from
the hard drive.

You may have to totally remove the DOS installation -- and lay down a base
Win98 system -- to get Windows 98 to install. Fact is, you want FAT32
enabled, regardless.

Good luck.

John Chin

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: