From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:02:41 -0800
Ed Bogert wrote:
>using ALL are momentarily (2 to 4 seconds)freezing up and then continuing on for >another few seconds and then freezing up again on and on and on. After about 5 hours >of this action the machine locks up, requiring a restart. I know I'm not overdriving >the video card (using 16 bit setup). I can't seem to solve this problem.

The problem you're having sounds like a memory leak and Windows
frequently re-sizing the Swap File.

There are several things you can do to help the situation. The first
thing I would try is setting the Swap File from the dynamic mode to
permanent mode. There is an article I wrote a while back relating to
this subject. <smile> I tried to locate it on Free PCTech but I couldn't
find it. Locate this article and it will explain what you need to do
about setting a permanent swap file.

The second thing I would do is, download Cacheman and configure it to
the power user setting. http://www.outertech.com/ This is one of the
best utilities that I've used. To quote the author,

Cacheman is a utility which tweaks the Disk Cache settings of
Windows 95/98/ME and prevents frequent swapping of the data to
hard drive resulting in an improved performance, system reaction
time and even stability. Besides this Cacheman corrects also
generic problems on systems with more than 512MB of RAM.

Another utility that is helpful when a system burps is Ramboost which
the author says will,http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/index.htm

RAMpage is a small Windows utility that displays the amount of available
memory in
an icon in the System Tray. When the icon is double-clicked, the program
tries to
free a predefined amount of memory. RAMpage can also be configured to
free memory
automatically when the amount of available memory drops below a
predefined level.

There are switches that can be set to a batch file so this program runs
once then shuts down. The less I have running in the background the
better I like it.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers