From:
Mr Babak Memari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 22:32:59 +0430
On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, 1:07:45 PM, you wrote:

> TEJ> An old program requires something that is not available in Windows 2000 but
> TEJ> is available in Windows ME. How do I install Windows ME in addition to
> TEJ> Windows 2000 (which will continue to be my main operating system)?
>
> TEJ> Thanks
>
> TEJ> Eric Tanenbaum

First make a backup from  your program that you will
need them ,because it makes you brave. :))
And if you want to be creative ,you have to be brave.

I have read some documents about partitioning for
mutiple booting,but they are not simple as much as
my way.It seems that they want to go to Mars.
"All Rights Reserved.Babak Memari INC."
lol,haha :)))  I am kiding.

And this is my way:
For multiple Operatign systems on one PC:
I assume your PC has a 40 Gbyte capacity.
Reboot your PC from a Bootable Disket(for example winME)
and goto DOS and write  FDISK  then click on ENTER.
Create a "Primary DOS partition"=8 Gbyte=This is your C:\ drive.
Create a "Extended DOS partition"=16 Gbytes.
Divide "Extended DOS partition" to two "Logical Partitions",
that is each one is 8 Gbyte.These are your D:\ and E:\ drives.

insert your winME CD in CD Drive and write SETUP.exe ,then click on
ENTER.
Now install winME on C:\ drive.
After installing winME, you will have C:\ ,D:\ and E:\.
All your drives in winME have (8+8+8)24 Gbytes .

But your PC capacity was 40 Gbytes?:)
Don`t worry.We will use the rest of HARD, that is (40-24=16)
16 Gbytes----> (40-24=16)

Reboot your PC and push  DELETE KEY and go to BIOS.
change BIOS setting to boot from CD.Save changes and exit.
Insert your win2000 CD in "CD Drive" ,then reboot again.

You will be asked to choose a drive to install win2000.
Click on  "New win Installation" or "Clean installation".
Don`t click on "UPGRADE INSTALLATION".
Don`t choose C:\ or D:\ or E:\ .
Instead choose the "unpartitioned space" for installing win2000 .
Now Win2000 installation program asks you--->Would you like to partition
"unpartitioned space"?  Answer Ya ya ya :))  YES YES .

Now divide "unpartitioned space(16 Gbyte)" to two partitions.Each one is
8 Gbyte.

Now would you like that your win98 be able to
access to win2000 drives or not?

If you format your new partitions by NTFS, winME will not be able to
access to win2000 drives.
But win2000 is able to access to winME drives(FAT32).

Of cource there is a program at www.sysinternals.com that give
win98 the ability to access to NTFS drives,but it  doesn`t
work well with winME(I have chacked it out).

They will be  G:\ and H:\ drives if you format them as NTFS.
And they will be  F:\ and G:\  drives if you format them as FAT32.

Choose one of them and format your new partitions and install win2000
on first new partition.

If you choose NTFS,you will see these drives when you are in win2000--->
C:\(winME is on this drive), D:\, E:\ ,F:\(your CD drive) ,G:\(win2000
is on this drive), and H:\.
You will see only C:\ ,D:\, E:\ ,and F:\( your CD drive) when you are
in winME.

Now you have double boot.
Run your win2000 and goto CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/and change your default
OS from win2000 to winME.
My PC has a triple boot-->WinME=FAT32(C:\=8Gbyte), Win2000=NTFS(8Gbyte)
and WinXP=FAT32(8Gbyte).

But you must always install older versions first.Because win95-98 and
winME ovewrites your C: partition in which Boot.ini has located.

You can change the sizes of partiotions if you want.
You don`t have to partition "the unparttion space"
if you don`t want to do.

--
- --
Babak Memari