Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:33:09 -0600
Hi Daniel,

More information on the CD-RW drives in question would be helpful. What are
the model numbers for both drives and the software you presently use? Does
the problem occur with all type discs (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW)? Is the CD
player they do function in a stand alone player or a CD-ROM drive? Check the
Sony Web site under support for a firmware update. Depending on it's age and
the discs, the drive may need an update in order to read certain discs.
Instructions for performing the update should be on the Sony site. Check the
following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more on troubleshooting this
problem:

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q321641

Additionally, assuming the Sony is an older model that has been in use for
awhile, I would check the connections for both the power and data cable.
Disconnect and reconnect the cables at the motherboard and the drive end to
insure a solid connection. If you have a spare data cable, try it. Then,
there's always the possibility the drive is simply worn out.

For the software, you can get an OEM version of Nero 6 for $4.99 (U.S.) with
free shipping here. Be sure to get any available updates for any software
you choose to use:

Nero Suite 6.0.0.6 (OEM) w/ Dual Layer Support $4.99 w/free shipping:
http://tinyurl.com/cdgos

Sven Swanson, Sr.