From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:40:56 -0700
On 1 Aug 99, at 11:51, Michael Gray wrote:

> I've got a dumb question here. I was checking the sale ads in the Sunday
> paper and see Sync DRAM on sale at CompUSA. A 128 MB stick of PC100 is
> $100 after rebate. Since I'm about ready to upgrade my IBM P166+ processor
> and motherboard,

> I was wondering if these would be compatible with what I currently have.
> The motherboard currently is based on an Intel i430VX chipset and has a
> single DIMM socket (books says it supports SDRAM/EDO DRAM/page mode DRAM
> use 168-pin DIMMx1.)

  This RAM should work in this motherboard just fine.

> I've currently got 4 16MB EDO SIMMS and everything is working OK for now
> (as well as Win98 works, I suppose.)

  Having both SDRAM and EDO installed at the same time, however, may not work.

> Will these work in my system at the current bus speed or will I need to
> wait to use them when I get the upgraded processor/motherboard?

  PC100 RAM is fast enough to use with 100 MHz bus systems.  It is "more than
fast enough" for 66 MHz systems like yours; I know of no problems associated
with RAm that is "too fast"; you should not have to wait for your other
upgrades to start using this RAM.

David G

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html