From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 07:29:52 -0500
The computer doesn't have to be working for you to test the hard drives, just running.  While the computer is off, disconnect the
power to a drive and restart.  If the noise is gone, you have found the drive. If not, do the same with the other drive.  This only
works, of course, if the noise is constant.  If the noise is intermittent, then the test is unreliable.  In my computer, the fan on
my video card is the major source of noise.  But, it is a "normal" sounding noise.

You'll often hear a lot of clicks and clacks coming from a hard drive, so that is normal.

Dean Kukral