From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:24:48 -0800
On 2 Jan 2007 at 23:33, Larry Gurley wrote:

> I have a 2WIRE Home Portal phoneline router currently serving as the
> DSL modem for my PC. Can I continue to use it as the DSL modem for a
> wireless network?
>
> Sometime in 2002, I think, I bought a 2Wire Home Portal Phoneline
> network system from SBC (my dsl provider).  The router is connected
> to dsl, the ethernet card in my PC, and the voice line for the phone.
> I was never able to get the phoneline network to work. [2Wire
> referred me to SBC. SBC techs said "we do phones, not networks" and I
> eventually gave up.]
>
> The 2Wire router has been functioning fine for the last 4 years,
> AFAIK, as a dsl modem. I've bought a Linksys "Wireless-G Broadband
> router, model WRT54GX2" with the intention of setting up a wireless
> WinXP network: this WinXP desktop and 2 laptops, one running WinXP
> and the other WinXP Media Edition.
>
> I assume (hope) I can continue to use the 2Wire router as a dsl modem
> with the Linksys router. Any cautions before I dismantle my
> connection to the Internet? Any issues I haven't considered?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Larry
>
> Lawrence T. Gurley

  The simplest way to proceed is to plug the WAN port of the LinkSys router
into the 2WIRE device, and plug your PC into one of the LinkSys' LAN ports.
With any luck, your 2WIRE device is configured as a DHCP server and your PC
as a client, and this will all work with little or no additional effort.

  There are a couple of other options which can also work, but nothing
you've described suggests you need to resort to them.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml