From:
Patti Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 07:26:06 -0500
Actually, it is recommended that the cover always be on. There are four
factors reasons for keeping the cover on: 1) Demetri is correct, the case
is designed to create airflow where it is needed, without the cover, the
flow changes and may not cool properly. 2) Computers radiate, and are
susceptible to "Radio Frequency Interference" or RFI.  3) Computers
radiate, and are susceptible to "ElectroMagnetic Interference" or
EMI.   Many states or provinces strictly govern how much "noise (RFI or
EMI)" is allowed to escape from a computer, and leaving the cover off will
definitely violate all such regulations.   4) The cover also keeps the
computer cleaner, at least it should ;-)   I just cleaned two years of fuzz
out of mine YUCK.
   Hope this helps.