Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 17:17:50 -0700
  There are a couple of things you could try to diagnose this
failure:

1.  Make sure you can "ping" your other machine.  Determine whether,
when you stop being able to surf, you can still ping it or not.

2.  Do you lose the abitlity to connect to remote hosts, or do you
lose the ability to resolve host names to IP addresses (DNS)?  Use
IPCONFIG to determine where you get DNS from, and see if you can ping
that address....

3.  Double-check your service agreement -- is what you're doing with
the LinkSys switch supported/permitted?

Dave Gillett
A+, MCSE, and now CCNA

On 11 May 2001, at 21:46, William Shouse wrote:

> Hello all:
> Problem: Maintaining a stable Internet Explorer
> connection using 10/100 Lan card and cable connection.
>
> I can crank up IE and surf for about 2-3 minutes
> before I lose the ability to continue surfing. It just
> stops connecting to sites.
> -I can log off for a few minutes and reconnect with
> the same 2-3 minute duration before losing connection
> again.
> -The nic is a Linksys 10/100 card.
> -The OS is W98 2nd Edition.
> -The PC is a 750 AMD.
> -I connect through a cable connection.(I thought it
> was the provider at first but I have a second PC
> hooked up through a Linksys switch and it works fine).
> -I have checked the cables and all are good.
> - I have uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC w/the
> same result.(if it was bad would it work at all?)
> -I downloaded the most current IE edition(no luck)
> -I moved the Nic to another PCI slot(no luck)
> -What would cause a temporary perfect connection and
> then a loss of connectivity after a few minutes?
>
> Please send all ideas to [log in to unmask]
> Thanks
>
> William Shouse

> http://auctions.yahoo.com/
>
>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>               Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux CD sets along
>          with our NOSPIN Power Linux CD...  at a great price!!!
>              http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com