From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:22:43 -0600
From: Wanda Irby :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Still have problems

> Dave Gillett wrote:

> > > I have a Micron PIII 600 with 128 meg RAM and a 27.3 gig hard drive.
> > > have a pretty heavy load of peripherals.  A Wacom tablet on COM1, COM2
> > > is used by the internal winmodem, COM3 is the cardwriter for my sewing
> > > machines.
> >
> >   The Wacom tablet is very like a mouse -- it uses its IRQ *all the
> > time*.  This is what's conflicting with COM3.
> >
> >   How to fix it?  Well, there are three approaches:
> >
> > 1.  Move COM3 to some non-standard IRQ.  You might not have one
> > available.
> >
> > 2.  Move COM3/IRQ4 to COM4/IRQ3.  You won't be able to use the card
> > reader at the same time as the modem, but I expect you can live with
> > that.  A few kinds of video cards conflict with COM4, but you might
> > not have one of those.
> >
> > 3.  [My favourite...]  Make the internal modem COM1/IRQ4 and move the
> > Wacom tablet to COM2/IRQ3.  The card reader should then work as
> > COM3/IRQ4.  Again, you won't be able to use it and the modem at the
> > same time, but this shouldn't get you into any other difficulties.
> >
> > David G
> >

> If it is the Wacom that is conflicting, why does it only affect the
> cardwriter and the modem?  When I try to use the modem...it does
> nothing.  When I use the cardwriter, it says it is in conflict with the
> modem and I should reconfigure the modem.  The modem uses IRQ 11 and
> COM2 but I don't see the Wacom or the card reader on on the IRQS. IRQ 3
> & 14 are not listed so suppose they are not used.  Only the modem will
> not work.
>         Wanda

Wanda,

I would check the resources that each Com port is using.  The modem is using
a non standard IRQ (11).  As David G stated above the standard port for Com2
is IRQ3. Which IRQ is Com3 using?  The Wacom Art pad will not show up using
an IRQ, only the Com port will show up using the IRQ.  If the card reader
says it is conflicting with the modem then Com 3 may be also using IRQ 11.
Try changing the irq of the modem to IRQ 3.  Even though  modems are
supposed to be able to use any free irq I have found that some modems just
won't work properly on a non standard IRQ.  I am surprised that you say IRQ
14 is not being used at all.  IRQ 14 is the default IRQ for the first IDE
channel for your hard drives.  Do you have a SCSI system?

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org