From:
Rob Alford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:09:41 +0100
My Dell Optiplex GX1 Pentium 2 recently packed up and I have since
identified the power supply as the cause.  I have asked in back street shops
and looked on the internet and it seems as though a standard replacement is
not available as the Dell unit has extra connections/plugs at the back, also
the generic shape of the standard units I have seen are different to the
Dell and so would not fit back inside the case.
I am reluctant to go the route of buying a replacement from Dell partly
because of the higher cost of a bespoke item, but also because I feel
trapped into buying from them.

The faulty unit has the following characteristics;
There are five bundles of cables leaving the unit, one goes to each of the
hard drive, CD drive and floppy drive and the final two go to the mother
board of which one is 20 pin the other 6 pin.

Model No: HP-145SNF REV: H02
Serial No: Not present
AC in: 115V/5A, 230V/3A
DC out: +5V/18A, -5V/0.3A, +12V/3A, -12V/0.3A
Max output power: 152W +3.3V/12A
Fuse rating: T5AH/250VAC +5VFP/1.2A

On reviewing the help archives I have noticed that it would be sensible to
go for a higher power rating so that the future unit does not get over
stressed.
Please can anybody refer me to a quality outlet where I can obtain a
reasonably priced replacement power supply unit?

p.s. If anybody out there has experienced the same problem and decided to
repair the unit themselves would you be prepared to guess which component
may have blown so I could solder a new one in?  I have had a look inside to
check for obvious things like scorch marks, but alas found nothing (yes I
know I'm dreaming if I think this can be fixed with a 5 pence resistor, but
I have to ask).

Thanks in advance,
Rob Alford

                     support at our newest website: