From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:37:09 -0700
Hi Eugene,

The only criteria for whether the MB will work is a matter of what
components you want to transfer over are compatible (CPU, memory, disk,
power supply, etc), the physical size and mounting (location of mounting
holes), and the connectors for the various switches, LED's, etc will work.

Many of the volume name brand PC's use some sort of proprietary connection
scheme for things like the switches, LED's, front panel ports (USB, audio),
I know Dell does this a lot. They do this mainly for efficiency in
assembly. The standard for motherboards used to build your own system have
various .10" header pins for these and you have to connect (properly)
several cables to them. This is tedious and not effective for mass
production. This is likely to be your biggest problem.

You simply need to do a bit of reserach and make sure all the components
and connections are compatible. Unless you find someone on the list that
has done this exact same thing, you will likely need to do a bit of
homework on this one.

Russ Poffenberger

At 03:51 AM 6/1/2005, you wrote:
>I have an HP pavillion 533w that I got from my daughter's friend.  It has
>a defective mother board.  (Best Buy told her that.)  So I bought it from
>her for $50 as it had the restoration disks, a 60 GB HD and 256 Mb Ram I
>can use if I can't get it working.  HP wants $160 for a motherboard to
>replace it.  The old Motherboard is a Trigem Glendale SOcket 478 Micro ATX
>motherboard.
>You can find the specs for it
>here:
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=90862&dlc=en&docname=bph07813
>I want to replace it and the closest thing I can find to match it is  a
>Machspeed Model M450-1017.
>You can find the specs for it
>here:
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1082398&sku=M450-1017
>Before I buy it, will this new motherboard work in this machine?
>
>Also, when I disconnected the fan,  I did not have the ZIF release pulled
>so I separted the CPU from the fan.  Is this CPU still useable? If so,
>what kind of material do I need to put it back onto the FAN when I intalle
>it back on the new Motherboard?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com